Download the FY2018 Sustainability Report to learn more about our initiatives.
Sugarcane is nature’s most efficient solar panel, converting sunlight into more high-value products for our society than any other major crop on the planet.
As a leading global sugarcane company, we embrace the responsibility that comes with our market position.
Our interconnected value chain offers us significant opportunities to help drive sustainable improvements not only in our own operations but also within our customers’ businesses. Just as we are reaching to attain our own sustainability goals, our customers are increasingly turning to suppliers such as us to help them reach theirs.
At ASR Group, we have set our ambitions on being at the forefront of our industry – actively leading – a company that recognizes we must all do our best to ensure our planet, our people and our communities are healthy and thrive.
Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility
Our Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programs are far more than simply promises on paper; they are etched as core values of our organization.
In each of our facilities in seven countries across the globe, we strive to lessen our footprint on the planet by concentrating on three key areas: energy, water and waste. Our continuous improvement philosophy drives us as we reach for our 2030 environmental sustainability goals.
We value our diverse workforce and the unique contributions made by our employees, through the variety of personalities, experiences and perspectives, which together create a stimulating, respectful and rewarding working environment. Our more than 5,000 talented employees work each day to grow our business and nurture our brands. Our employee programs focus on allowing our team members to thrive and develop, personally and professionally.
Just as we respect our more than 150-year heritage crafting the highest-quality products, we hold a commitment to implementing sustainable packaging solutions that will help us meet stakeholder demands and reduce the lifecycle of our products.
The program has three areas of focus:
1. Use Responsibly Sourced Materials: Continue to introduce packaging made from renewable and/or recyclable materials.
2. Material Reduction: Maximize performance with thinner, lighter and stronger materials to limit/reduce packaging use and waste.
3. Minimize Carbon Footprint: Optimize the inbound supply chain and leverage innovative packaging production processes to reduce CO2 emissions and energy consumption.
Sourcing raw cane sugar is a major part of our supply chain activities. We purchase raw cane sugar from more than 40 countries across the globe. Many of these are developing countries that have common challenges, including poverty, low education, and a lack of basic social services. The sugarcane industry in each country is often the backbone of the local community and plays a significant role in the local economy. We recognize that procuring sugar in developing countries brings risks and responsibility. One of the ways we meet our responsibility is through our ethical sourcing program.
Corporate Social Responsibility:
- 100% of suppliers to participate in SEDEX.
- 70% of our raw sugar will be sourced from mills certified or verified to a recognized sustainability standard over a three-year period by the end of FY2025.
- 30% of a preceding year’s audited non-compliances within our supply chain resolved.
- Increase source transparency; provide information to the mill for our supply chain by end FY2025.
- Reduce water consumption by 55%, normalized to production by 2030.
- Reduce our net Scope 1 & 2 GHG Emissions by 50% by 2030.
- Reduce our solid waste stream total, normalized to production back to the 2012 baseline; while still pursuing and maintaining our zero waste to landfill accomplishments by 2030.
UN Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs)
At ASR Group, we set high standards for every aspect of our business – our own operations; our suppliers, including our raw sugar supply chain; every product we make; every geography where we conduct business; and every stakeholder.
Our level of control and influence varies from our own operations to third-party suppliers. Therefore, we strongly support the United Nations’ Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, which sets out the expectation that companies like ours have a responsibility to use our influence to ensure human rights are respected not only in our own operation but throughout our supply chain.
Our programs ensure the raw cane sugar we procure is produced and delivered under conditions that uphold fundamental human rights, work to protect the environment and improve the well-being of farmers, especially smallholders and women.
Transparency and Reporting
Transparency is part of the fabric of our CSR and Sustainability programs. We are committed to a continual dialogue among our stakeholders as well as to communicating our goals and achievements to the public. To learn more, please download our FY2018 Sustainability Report.DOWNLOAD